Welcome to Mountfitchet Castle & Norman Village of 1066
Travel back in time to Medieval England
Feel the ambience of a bygone lifestyle at this historic site
Meet the many rescued animals that live peacefully within the Castle grounds
Enjoy wandering in and out of the many authentic buildings
Listen to the ancient Church bell tolling serenely across the grounds
Mountfitchet Castle & Norman Village of 1066
- Mountfitchet Castle is a unique open-air museum experience where the visitor can travel back in time over 900 years and truly witness life in a medieval Motte and Bailey castle.
- Explore the Castle and roam through the Norman village hidden behind the castle walls, wander in and out of the many houses and view the scenes, smell the log fires burning and feel the ambience of a bygone lifestyle.
- Meet and hand feed the tame Fallow deer and other rescued animals that roam freely throughout the 10 acre site.
- Visit the only medieval Castle and Norman Village reconstructed on its original site to exist in the world.
- An all-weather, all-in-one heritage entertainment complex where prehistory, history and nostalgia combine to make one great full exciting day out for the whole family.
- Three fabulous attractions for one admission price, a fantastic family day out for all ages.
From Sun 25th Oct the Castle
will close at 4.00pm
(3.45pm for the Toy Museum)
Last admission will be 3.00pm
The last day for visiting
Mountfitchet Castle this year
will be this Sunday 8th
We will be open again in the
new year on Saturday 12th
We would like to thank
everybody who came to visit us
this year and would also like to
take this opportunity to wish
everyone a Merry Christmas
and a Happy New Year!
||Whilst at Mountfitchet Castle don’t forget to visit The House on the Hill Toy Museum which is included in your entry price. The Toy Museum contains the largest toy collection in the world with over 80,000 toys from the Victorian era right up to the 1990’s. View the Showbiz Collection – Only Fools and Horses three wheeled van, Dads Army display, film and TV props and life sized figures from Star Wars and Dr Who. Don’t miss the Rock ‘n’ Roll exhibition celebrating the golden era of the 1960’s and 70s. Located within the Toy Museum is The Haunted Manor, if you’re feeling brave enough Encounter our life sized dinosaurs on the way to the museum and try your hand at Fossil hunting in our Palaeontology House, can you find the Velociraptors claw? Visit the the Toy Museum’s website for full details. You can watch our video clip of the Dinosaur Park here.